[78-L] Seeger/Folkways memory

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Jan 28 16:54:00 PST 2014

The passing of Pete Seeger reminded me of a day in 1986 when, shortly after the death of Moe Asch, I walked into the Joseph Sachs Music Store in downtown Los Angeles and saw that they were going out of business. In the store was one entire wall full of Folkways LPs - all on sale for $2.95 each. I had the presence of mind to know a good thing when I saw it and bought one copy of every Folkways LP they had, including 9 by Seeger and all 4 10-inch volumes of the Lead Belly Memorial series. I must have walked away with 50 LPs that day. You've heard of "The Folk Music Scare"? That was my Folk Music Score.

Cary Ginell