[78-L] USPS Strikes Again!?

Peter Fraissinet pf13 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 27 18:32:36 PST 2014

USPS has always reserved the right to do this, and they have done it.  I have had several packages come in re-taped by USPS, and likewise several packages sent out have been reported (by the recipient) as having been officially opened.  This over the last 20 years.  Never was there damage, I'm happy to report.

The primary effect will be that the recipients of boxes, where the sender has used Priority materials (boxes, envelopes, tape) inside the media mail package, will have to pay the postage due for a Priority box, or refuse delivery.  That is current policy, and this will be a big new income stream if they step up inspection.  Kind of like a parking meter violation blitz catching scofflaws unawares.  For awhile anyway, till people get wise.

First Class is hardly an option, for after 13 oz it is replaced by Priority (for domestic mail).

Peter Fraissinet
West Danby NY