[78-L] Ebay Awry

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat Jan 25 09:24:44 PST 2014

Hello folks,
Not record related, but nonetheless of concern to anyone selling in Ebay.
I am selling a quantity of key blanks in one auction. They have been
selling steadily. I sent one to a fellow who was not happy with a
shipping delay, so he opened a case with Ebay (without contacting me).
Ebays says, "You guys just work it out. We will not interfere."
The key presumably got lost in shipping, so rather that try to figure
that out, I just sent him another one, along with my apologies, to which
he was most understanding. Because the items were sent 1st class, there
were no tracking numbers to trace.
I emailed several times until he told me the key had arrived. Then
silence. Happy customer, yes, no?
Dead air for several days despite pleas to close the case (meanwhile
Paypal witholds my payment).
I finally send the case to Ebay, telling them that customer acknowledges
receipt of key, but will not close the case.
What does Ebay do? Close the case? No!
Refunds the money to the customer, supposedly with no impact to me.
Two keys from me for free! With Ebay's blessing!!!
Completely legal shoplifting.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.