[78-L] Record Noises - Identify and Understand Cause

Ron L'Herault lherault at verizon.net
Wed Jan 15 14:28:46 PST 2014

If you are talking about hiss and noise on 78s, part of that can be from the
use of (a) worn steel needle(s). Especially on early acoustical and electric
era records, the grit in the record is supposed to shape the needle to the
groove, which actually prevents excessive wear.  A needle left for more than
a play or two, or even worse one removed and replaced (the old wear will not
line up with the new groove) accelerates wear and causes more noise in the
beginning of the record until the needle shapes to the groove.  If the
needle is really worn, it gets shoulders that ride on top of the groove
which REALLY wears the record badly.   As pick ups became lighter, shaping
to the groove was no longer desirable or necessary.  Record formulations
became more and more grit free (hopefully).

Ron L