[78-L] Record Noises - Identify and Understand Cause

Andrew Evans andrew.evans at sfr.fr
Mon Jan 13 13:05:56 PST 2014

DL wrote "Sometimes one side of the groove will be cleaner. "

This reminds me of something I once heard but have never attempted: the
plausible notion that centripetal force exerted on the stylus will cause
more wear on the inside face of the groove than the outside.

Solution (according to the something I  once heard): reverse the polarity on
the turntable motor and play the disc anticlockwise from the centre out,
using centrifugal force to get a good strong signal from the less-worn outer
face of the groove. Then play the resulting tape or file backwards, of
course.

Is there anything in this? Or is it just an urban legend?

Andrew in Luxembourg

Message: 1