[78-L] Green Grow the Lilacs

Guyotsmith at aol.com Guyotsmith at aol.com
Sun Jan 12 13:09:32 PST 2014

That's an interesting thread. The suggestion that, during the  war with
Mexico, American soldiers sang a version of the song in Mexico,  indicating
that they would be returning home to "change the green laurel to the  red,
white, and blue" is intriguing.

My grandmother had an NBC radio series in the 1930s, in which  she would
dramatize old songs - both folk songs and simply old-time selections -
weaving a story around the lyrics. Her account of "Green Grow the Lilacs" was
similar to that of Tex Ritter, who worked on some of her programs. She sang the
 song differently, though, as did Frank Luther. Some of the songs she
collected  in Appalachia differed dramatically from the frequently-recorded
variants. I do  not know where she learned "Green Grow the Lilacs," however. She
had extensive  knowledge of old songs, but where she picked that one up I do
not know. A melody  for "The Green Laurels" was printed in an old Journal
of American Folklore, but  I don't have a copy. If American soldiers in 1847
did sing the song, we'll never  know precisely how it sounded, but it is
interesting to speculate.

Have a great week ahead.

Jonathan

In a message dated 1/12/2014 1:56:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,