[78-L] Green Grow the Lilacs

Guyotsmith at aol.com Guyotsmith at aol.com
Sun Jan 12 09:54:36 PST 2014

I have a World transcription by Frank Luther which contains  the song. I've
never had the recording dates for those World transcriptions, but  I'll bet
you could date them. Some of Frank's verses are found in the Scottish
"Green Grow the Laurel" and not in the version Tex sang throughout his career,
certainly inspired by the Lynn Riggs play and his involvement in same. As
the  piece entered tradition, there were many alterations of both melody and
lyrics,  of course. My grandmother, born in 1883, told me a great deal about
the song,  and I wish I could recall all the details. I do know that she,
like our friend  Frank Luther, sang it as "change the green lilac to the
Oregon blue" or "to the  origin blue," or "to the orange and the blue," and not
"to the red, white, and  blue."  As to the actual recording of the song, I
would assume Frank  Luther's World transcription would be the earliest that we
presently know  of.  Interesting topic.

Jonathan

In a message dated 1/12/2014 12:43:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,