[78-L] Bird with Stringency

Joe Scott joenscott at mail.com
Wed Jan 8 09:57:00 PST 2014

One factor I guess is that there were a lot more standards than there were bop standards. If you went to see Bird and he played a familiar bop tune such as "Ornithology" you could enjoy (a) a direct association with bop ("our music") as such, (b) recognition of the familiar, and (c) improvisations you'd never heard before. A more "mainstream"-associated performer could provide (b) and (c) on _any_ standard, with many more tunes to choose from without repetition over the years, and wasn't expected to do (a).
Joseph Scott