[78-L] Sinatra and other singers and the 1942-1944 AFM ban

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 1 01:37:33 PST 2014

On 01/01/14 06:39, David Weiner wrote:
> And everything was pressed on the worst-quality reground shellac
> imaginable. Early Capitols sound like they were pressed on cement; even
> Columbia's laminated discs sucked, and the faded=looking gold ink they
> used on their red labels were nearly unreadable, even when new. I have a
> few early Capitols (including the 1942 Ray McKinleys) on vinyl DJ
> pressings and the difference in sound is enormous.  V-Discs were the
> nicest quality pressings of the war years.
>
> Dave Weiner

The other aspect was the stockpiling of recordings that went on just
prior to the commencement of the ban. Were the artists under some legal
obligation to the record companies to fulfill a contract before the
deadline? If not, then it seems it wasn't in the artists' interests to
do this. It would have defeated the purpose of the ban. Wouldn't they
have wanted the action to be have been felt immediately? If say,
coalminers vote to go on strike, they are unlikely to build up stocks
before doing so.

      Julian Vein