[78-L] Sinatra and other singers and the 1942-1944 AFM ban

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 31 22:39:41 PST 2013

And everything was pressed on the worst-quality reground shellac
imaginable. Early Capitols sound like they were pressed on cement; even
Columbia's laminated discs sucked, and the faded=looking gold ink they
used on their red labels were nearly unreadable, even when new. I have a
few early Capitols (including the 1942 Ray McKinleys) on vinyl DJ
pressings and the difference in sound is enormous.  V-Discs were the
nicest quality pressings of the war years.

Dave Weiner