[78-L] Electric guitar before 1939 #2

Joe Scott joenscott at mail.com
Sat Dec 28 12:31:00 PST 2013

If a pickup was used, it was an "electric guitar."
Lawrence Lucie described well what Eddie Durham was playing during 1932-1935 (and maybe 1936): "He had one of those National guitars with a resonator inside it, and it sounded loud and rather metallic, although there was no electrical amplification."
Oh, and regarding Leonard Ware's importance: Les Paul was once talking about who was in New York before Christian, and the first person he mentioned was Ware.
Can't remember if we've mentioned Floyd Smith yet but it's worth noting that well before "Floyd Guitar Blues," he had soloed on electric on Jeter-Pillars' "Lazy Rhythm" in 8/37. Floyd listened to the radio (like everyone else): "I remember Alvino Rey when he used to play with the Harry Reser Clicquot Club [Eskimos]." Take that, Robert Redford.
Joseph Scott
******
there was some
question as to whether the guitar was a true electric steel guitar
(lap-style) or an amplified acoustic guitar. There is a difference.
Mal

*******