[78-L] Autry's Rudolph

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 26 06:18:38 PST 2013

 From: RJHoltin334578 <rjh334578 at yahoo.com>

>Yesterday I was subjected to a non-stop barrage of holiday songs from
>commercial radio, Pandora and Roku. I heard two distinct versions of
>Autry's Rudolph, one somewhat faster than the other.  Could these be
>alternates from the same session or did he remake it?

Some time in the 60s, Autry released a Christmas album.  It
had all of hits hits, plus some more songs.  They were not
the Columbia recordings.  It also had some narration between
many of the songs. One describes "Here Comes Santa Claus" as
being inspired by the annual Christmas parade in Hollywood
if I remember correctly.  I have that album somewhere (I've
had it since grade school), but I'm sure that that none
of the Columbia recordings were used.