[78-L] Jazz myths [was Christian question]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 19 15:31:30 PST 2013

On 16/12/13 20:25, David Weiner wrote:
>> The ES-150 hit stores in '36. The greatest virtuosos recording jazz
>> electric guitar as of about '38-'39 seem to have been Zeke Campbell and
>> Christian, best I can tell.
>>
>> Some of the people who recorded on electric guitar before Christian did
>> are Campbell, George Barnes, Lonnie Johnson, Eddie Durham, Bill Broonzy
>> (on a bunch of Sonny Boy Williamson sides including big hits), Bob
>> Symons, and I think the earliest recordings of Les Paul on the radio too.
>> Basically, about half of those people played in a similar style to
>> Christian imo.

Some of the jazz myths I grew up with were that Charlie Christian
"invented" the electric guitar; Count Basie was the first to use
four-four rhythm; Wayman Carver was the first jazz flautist to record;
"Knockin' A Jug" was the first racially-mixed jazz recording.

I don't think writers actually said these things, but they implied it by
never clarifying the facts. Any more?

       Julian Vein