[78-L] Christian question

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 16 10:28:40 PST 2013

On 16/12/13 17:57, david.diehl at hensteeth.com wrote:
> Goodman's broadcasts always included at least one performance by a small group. This paved the way nationwide recognition -and acceptance- for both Christian and his guitbox. I seriously doubt that Artie Shaw would have used an electric guitar on his Grammercy Five sides if Christian hadn't set the example. Would Jimmy Dorsey have hired Teddy Walters without "Solo Flight" to pave the way?
>
> On the non-commercial side, Charlie's virtual residence at Minton's hot house of bop during the last months of his life provided an enduring cachet among hardcore jazz devotees. He was nowhere near the first nor was his basic style all that different from other Southwestern players like Oscar Moore (or Zeke Campbell of the Light Crust Doughboys for that matter).
>
> The electric guitar was also "an idea whose time had come." Bands were getting bigger and filling ever larger venues so volume was becoming an issue. BG had auditioned Leonard Ware some 8 months before Christian (Umbrella Man broadcast Jan. 10, 1939.) He used George Rose on the 'new' instrument in May.
>
> One man's opinion FWIW
>
> DJD

For an instrument strongly associated with jazz the acoustic guitar
wasn't used that much for soloing on recording sessions, apart from
Django. Now Django could make himself heard without amplification, so
why not the others? My favourite guitarist has to be Remo Palmieri, who
used amplification sparingly.

      Julian Vein