[78-L] Edward VIII Abdication Records

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 8 20:40:53 PST 2013

Hearing Mike Biel talk about the Edward VIII Abdication Speech during his
YesterdayUSA broadcast on the Pearl Harbor speech reminds me that I have
gotten a few more discs in.

I now have two copies of the Center Music Store version (discog. details in
an earlier message below) with label variations.  One copy has a rather
plain, white label with blue type and says:

Farewell Speech
of Former
King Edward VIII
December 11, 1936--5 P.M.
Center Music Store
R.C.A. Bldg. Rockefeller Center
New York, U.S.A.

The other Center version is on a grey label with a black ring with red type
around the label:

AN ELECTRICAL RECORDING
Exclusively for
CENTER
MUSIC STORE
Rockefeller Center NY
THE FAREWELL SPEECH
OF FORMER
KING EDWARD VIII
Recorded from Radio Broadcast on
December 11, 1936, at 5 P.M.

Now, to the most interesting part, as I mentioned on Facebook last week:
this Center Music Store record is the worst sounding copy of the speech I've
heard.  It sounds like it's a mic placed in front of a speaker...which of
course it is!  At the end of side one, someone says "stop!," and then a loud
click is heard.  Fascinating.

Also in just last week, a copy of the speech from the Gramophone Shop.  It's
a 10-incher with a plain, white pasteover label.  The label for side one has
fallen off to leave only a blank, white label.  Here's the info from side 2:

THE
FAREWELL MESSAGE
--of--
KING EDWARD VIII
DEC. 11, 1936    PART TWO
THIS RECORD IS NOT TO BE USED
FOR
BROADCASTING OR PUBLIC PERFORMANCE
The Gramophone Shop
18 E. 48th ST. - New York

The matrix nos. are 1006 and 1007.

And a 12" British pressing that I've just gotten...It's a red label with
gold print.  The matrix numbers are KS1-2 and KS2.

The label reads:

H.M. KING EDWARD VIII
Speaking to the World from Windsor Castle
as H.R.H. Prince Edward on the eve of his
departure from England, 11th December, 1936
PART 1
Issued by
Empire Recording Institute
Empire House
London, W. 1

The record begins with an introduction before the speech begins:

"His Majesty, King Edward VIII, speaking to the world from Windsor Castle as
His Royal Highness Prince Edward on the eve of his departure from England
after his abdication on Friday, December 11, 1936."

Reith's comments are not heard, and the recording ends abruptly after the
words, "God save the King!"

Now (and if you've read this far down you're as big a fan of the Abdication
Speech record as I am), here's the most interesting bit of trivia I've come
up with doing all this collecting of and listening to Abdication records:

I've always assumed the RCA vinyls that I own (probably made for Hal B.
Wallis, details in an earlier message below) were pretty complete.  They are
not!  The infamous thump between John Reith's introduction and Edward's
speech has been edited out on both records!  The edit is imperceptible, so I
believe the master might have been made on film.  Mike Biel is there any way
to tell from the matrix numbers?  The one-sided 33's numbers are VIS-6141-56
and the two-sided 78's numbers are VIS 6145 and VIS 6146.

Sammy Jones