[78-L] Lyric 8108 mystery (really 8103)

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Wed Nov 20 11:56:10 PST 2013

OK, so here's why I asked about this record.  I just bought a record on ebay which arrived today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291014454135?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

If you looked at the ebay listing the seller said 8103 in the description but I looked at the picture and really thought it was 8108.  It was 8103!

So, I do have 8103 by chance.  The side without the label is actually Lyric 8103B.  The markings on the B side show both 8103A and 8103B which happens both this record and my Lyric 8103. Someone must have been confused!  Anyway, it's Medley of National Airs by Lyric Symphony Orchestra.  The markings between the two records are a little different so it could be a different take.  More comparison needs to be done.  BUT, it does show a link between Lyraphone and this unknown Peerless label which is not in Allan Sutton's label book.  Thinking through this it's unclear whether this is another Lyraphone client pressing or an attempt by Clarion.  Jacques Kohner started Clarion Record Company after Lyraphone (he was also involved in Majestic, then Par-O-Ket before going to Lyraphone) and this is possibly an attempt by him at Clarion since he retained rights to at least some masters.  The vertical attempt is interesting because of the date for Clarion,
 1921.  If so, no wonder this Peerless is either real rare or never got off the ground.  I have yet to find anything on Electronic Phonograph Corporation in New York.  Dating this company will help determine when this record was pressed.  Have found Electric Phonograph Company in Kalamazoo though.

I have yet to attempt figuring out the side with the label, which has nothing to do with the 8103 Lyric.  A first, quick check shows that it plays equally well (or bad actually) with a vertical as well as lateral setup.  Again, figuring out this side may give a clue as to when this record was pressed and whether it was Lyraphone or Clarion based.

Of course I'm still interested to know what's on 8108, but purely for discographical reasons, not because of this record I bought.

Glenn

www.majesticrecord.com