[78-L] Master Sound System Discs - How to clean (if possible).

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 15 19:59:34 PST 2013

My guess is that it's a dub of a rare 78 that someone had cut privately. I see
these occasionally....I have a Leadbelly on a similar disc (blue label, but
without the studio info on yours) and have no idea whether it's copied from ARC
or Library of Congress recordings or what the source might be.

Without seeing the disc, I can't say what the stuff might be that's on the
surface, and some preservationists suggest that cleaning it could reveal cracks
in the lacquer or cause damage and that you're wise to get a transfer of it first.

dl