[78-L] Master Sound System Discs - How to clean (if possible).

Doug Duncan d_duncan at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 15 14:23:13 PST 2013

I recently bought a few discs from a friend's sale list.

Two of the discs were Master Sound System discs with a plain blue label
on each side ' Manufactured by M.S.S. Recording Co Ltd. Colnbrook,
Bucks, England. This is a direct Recording. Play with a modern
Lightweight pickup or use a steel trailer needle 78rpm 50 ~'

The labels are also annotated in handwriting.

Sippie Wallace -    Lazy Man Blues b/w The Flood Blues    1009

Sippie Wallace - Special Delivery Blues b/w Jack O' Diamonds    1007

I take these to be lacquer on an aluminium substrate since on one the
edge of the substrate can be seen and it is non magnetic. Although both
seem superficially to be in good condition there are a few spots of what
appear to be crystals. Is this possibly palmetic acid?
They are large enough to cover several adjacent parts of the groove and
I am concerned that they are going to damage the stylus if I play as is.
The pitch of the groove seems quite fine.

So , can the discs be cleaned and if they can with what? In addition to
the spots of crystals the edges of both discs are generally grubby and
could use a little cleaning if it can be done without damage. The
lacquer is not chipped

I am aware that the 'C' word is a subject of much controversy and I
would like to apologise to the list in advance for opening a can of
worms but it seems likely that some specific remedy exists or none at all.

Apart from the above, does anyone know how these come to be in
existance. Are they tests for a legitimate issue of the performances or
are they a non legal copy that was done on the quiet.

As always, if anyone can shed any light I will be most grateful.

Best Regards,

Doug