[78-L] Canadian, American, like what's the difference eh?

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Thu Nov 7 05:38:00 PST 2013

I did some research on the Columbia label types of the popular A-series,
published in Names & Numbers 54, and here are some (revised) notes
about prices.

At first, the Magic Notes label lists the 65c price only at the end of  the
2-line price legend.
Later this price also appears to the right of the spindle hole.
The common A-1118 (El Cota, Black and White) is among the last issues
without the price next to the hole, but exists in repressings with many label variants.
Then the 65c price is omitted from the (enlarged) 2-line legend, making diffent prices possible.
The price next to the hole remains 65c for black labels, but is 75c on turquoise labels.
A-1374 (Jolson's first) is the last Columbia Phonograph Co label known to me
(rec June 1913; is the exact release date known?), 75c.
Next main label variant is Columbia Graphophone Co (along lower rim).
Same prices: 65c (black) & 75c (turquoise)
Last available label images with these prices are A-1585 (65c) & A-1588
(Toots Paka Hawaiian Co; 75c). Released ca Oct 1914, I assume.

Then the label type changes slightly:
the patents legend after the company name at ca. 4h gets 4 lines (instead of 3),
and the price changes too:
Black US 65c / Canada 85c; turquoise US 75c / Canada $1.00.
The 75c/$1 price is still present on A-1926; then becomes 75c/90c, later 75c/85c.
More changes later; rather confusing due to the many repressings and
often difficult to read on the label shots.

han enderman
===
>>> Interesting note about price differences..they're usually around 5 or 10 cents
higher in Canada but I've just found a copy of Columbia A1895, price 75 cents
in the States, a whopping $1.00 in Canada! Fisk University Male Quartette. I
wonder why there was such a hike at that time?

dl

On 11/6/2013 12:22 AM, Rodger J. Holtin wrote:
> So, if I'm reading this right, US Victors and Columbias were not
> distributed in Canada.  Now I'm wondering about all the black or blue label
> A-series Columbias I have with Canadian prices on them; "75 cents in USA,
> 85 cents in Canada."  (By 1920 they said "$1.00 in USA and $1.00 in
> Canada," and about then the pricing disappears.)  Pricing for records not
> even available?  Makes no sense to me.  What am I missing here?
>
> And if Whispering and Dardanella were not distributed on American Victors
> in Canada, and likely not even issued on Canadian issues, that means they
> were blacked-out or suppressed in Canada.  The hottest sellers of the day
> simply not available in Canada?  Really?  Were the ODJB records similarly
> snubbed?
>
> Have I missed something?
>

> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM, David Lennick<dlennick at sympatico.ca>  wrote:
>
>> The Canadian operation pressed many of the important recordings but also
>> tried
>> to replace many with their own versions in the 216xxx series. I never saw
>> a US
>> Victor in the flesh till I began serious collecting in the early 60s, other
>> than the odd one someone had brought up on a trip. Columbias were a
>> different
>> story, looked almost identical. Brunswicks said made in Canada but the
>> labels
>> were virtually identical (not forgetting the earliest Vertical ones which
>> were
>> pressed only in Canada).
>>
>> dl
>>
>> On 11/4/2013 7:51 AM, rjh334578gmail wrote:
>>> Were American Victors available at all in Canada?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPod - which explainz the bad typjng

<<<