[78-L] A DOROTHY LAMOUR MEMORY

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Oct 29 09:07:48 PDT 2013

>> But did that apply to Dorothy Lamour?
>>
>>         Julian Vein
> What's sarong with Dorothy Lamour?
>
> dl

Nothing, she was singing the sarong number!

      Julian Vein

Speaking of Lamour, I thought this might interest nostalgia buffs. It's a fondly cherished memory for me.  I worked a couple of very delightful weeks with Dorothy Lamour at the old Versailles in NYC in 1956 (maybe 1957). The versailles was one of the last of the glitzy east-side supper and show clubs.  I was in the house band (it closed abruptly in 1957) *and she was the headliner. Totally un-movie star like with absolutely no pretense of being any kind of singeror big deal  she was absolutely one of the nicest people I've ever met. Every night backstage before the show was a laugh fest with her and the band. She was using an early wireless mike in her act manufactured by her husband's company  (he too was a sweetheart) and there was much speculation as to where she hid the antenna. "C'mon, Dotty, where's the antenna?" I'll show you closing night," she'd respond. And closing night, backstage she did. A truly great and very special lady.
Jack Daney