[78-L] M-W discog listing

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sat Oct 12 20:06:01 PDT 2013

I have scans of the following records, of which I give the first 2 "initials" of the title
on that side (so Ice Water becomes IW; A Little Bit = AL).
If you want the scans I can mail them.
I have scans without M-prefix in range 4928-5001.
I'm rather surprised that 4989 & 4998 are different from the same numbers with M-prefix.
Can someone explain how much duplication in numbers exists?

With prefix M:
4910A IW
4911A HR
4912A TF
4917A TC
4969B TM
4970A LH
4980A OT
4982A TI
4983A ND
4986A HW
4989A JN = Ellington
4997A AL = Little Ramblers
4998A Lost = Mezzrow
4999A MI = Mezzrow
5010A MC
5011A MO
5012A CB
5013A IR
5014A MG
5015A WP
5018A LF
5021A IO
5025A Part1
5026A YG
5028A ND
5031A GF
5033A DO
5034A MR
5035A TM
5036A TS

Without prefix:
4928A ID
4929A TD
4930A MA
4932A CY
4933A TC
4934B SC
4935B TA
4938A SN
4941A WR
4942A IF
4944A CJ
4951A Pt.1
4953B WC
4954A TO
4958B WI
4959A TL
4961A TV
4962A TD
4964A WH
4965A CO
4968A IW
4978A WY
4984A OT
4989B AT = Walter C Peterson
4996A TC = Lou Preager
4998A II = Ted Russell: I'M In The Mood.../You Are My Lucky Star
5001A OT

han enderman
===
> designations. Seems I remember such a list that was made up by a
> collector (Walter Allen?) in the 50s or 60s but I cannot seem to find it
> among my piles of old correspondence.
> Anyone have such a thing they'd like to share?
Malcolm
-----
I don't have such a list handy, but I can report these from label scans:
(Following are Decca pressings, no M- prefix on the catalog numbers)

MW 4928 A		I'M DRIFTING BACK TO DREAMLAND
			HUTCHENS BROS.		Old Time Singin' [sic]

MW 4938 A		SILENT NIGHT-HOLY NIGHT
			CHAMPION SACRED QUARTETTE [sic]	Sacred Vocal
MW 4938 B	O' COME ALL YE FAITHFUL [sic]
			CHAMPION SACRED QUARTETTE [sic]	Sacred Vocal

MW 4959 B	HONEY STAY IN YOUR OWN BACK YARD
			(Kennet-Udall)
			JACK TURNER			Vocal

MW 4998 A		I'M IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE
			From Walter Wanger Production "Every Night At Eight"
			(McHugh-Fields)
			TED RUSSELL and his ORCHESTRA	FOX TROT

(Following are Victor pressings with M- prefix)

MW M-4970-B	NEW CURLY HEADED BABY
			J. E. Mainer's Mountaineers
			Singing by Zeke and Wade

MW M-4989-A	JUNGLE NIGHTS IN HARLEM-Fox Trot
			(Ellington)
			Duke Ellington and his Orchestra
MW M-4989-B	HOT FEET-Fox Trot
			(Jimmy McHugh-Dorothy Fields)
			Duke Ellington and his Orchestra
			with vocal refrain

I may have some others which require renaming so I know at a glance what they are. Problem with that is -- there are at least 13,000 such scans to be gone through and renamed. (I've been busy the last few years...!)

For MWs that are straight reissues from Victor or Bluebird, the MW side letters are usually (but not always!) the same as the Victor or Bluebird. When the MW is cross-coupled from two different original issues, all bets are off. Hope this is of some small help.

Take care,
Joe
-----
These pairing are correct (A-side/B-side) but obviously not a complete list.
Peter
*********************
M-4910	DeFord Bailey	Ice Water Blues / Davidson County Blues
M-4918	Carson Robison 	I Was Born In Old Wyomin' / I Left Her Standin' There
M-4934	Blue Ridge Mountain Girls	Woman's Answer To 21 Years / She Came Rollin' Down The Mountain
M-4969	J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers 	Maple On The Hill / Take Me In The Lifeboat
M-4970	J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers  	Let Her Go God Bless Her / New Curly Headed Baby
M-4980	Girls Of The Golden West	On Treasure Island / Red Sails In The Sunset
M-4981	Riley Puckett	The Old Spinning Wheel / Waitin' For The Evenin' Mail
M-4982	Riley Puckett	The Isle Of Capri / Roll Back The Carpet
M-4983	Jesse Rodgers	Be Nobody's Darling But Mine / Hummin' To My Honey
M-5010	Carter Family	Motherless Children / Little Moses
M-5011	Carter Family	My Old Cottage Home / Lonesome For You
M-5012	Carter Family	Carter's Blues / The Lover's Farewell
M-5018	Carter Family	Longing For Old Virginia / The Evening Bells Are Ringing
M-5025	Dixon Brothers	Answer To Maple On The Hill--Part 1 / Greenback Dollar--Part 2
M-5026	Monroe Brothers	You've Got To Walk That Lonesome Valley / God Holds The Future In His Hands
M-5027	Carter Family	No More The Moon Shines On Lorena / Jimmie Brown, The Newsboy
M-5030	Dixie Reelers	What A Friend We Have In Mother / My Heart Is Broken For You
Peter Fraissinet pf13 at cornell.edu
===