[78-L] The Public Domain Review

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 13 09:46:13 PDT 2013

Interesting that some classical compositions by long-dead composers will remain
in copyright because of co-contributions. Dvorak's "Rusalka" has a libretto by
someone who died in 1950, so with the 70 years copyright already in place on
music (not recordings), Rusalka is protected till 2020. (This is Europe.
Rusalka would definitely be PD in the States, I'm sure, being published before
1923.)

Gershwin's 'Swanee" (1919) is PD in the States but copyrighted everywhere else
because its lyricist, Irving Caesar, lived to 1996.

dl