[78-L] Eddie Walters

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Mon Aug 12 08:13:26 PDT 2013

Sorry Ate, no luck.  Walters evidently wrote no songs so he is not covered
in ASCAP.  He had no "hit" records, thus is not mentioned in Whitburn.  I
could not find him in Simon's big band book.  As a long shot you might try
Kinkle.  I don't have those books but someone else here on the list might.
RayK

From: Ate van Delden
My previous request for information on singer Eddie Walters did not yield
any reaction. Maybe I am more lucky this time.
Walters recorded in 1929 and 1930 for Columbia with some prominent jazzmen,
including Adrian Rollini, the subject of my research. Although Edwards'
records were positively reviewed and even issued in Europe and Japan, no
biographical information seems to be known. Could a list member with access
to the Columbia catalogs and bulletins of 1929 and 1930 check if anything is
written there about Eddie Walters? Thank you for any help!
The following text sums up what I found in newspapers.
"Eddie Walters is an enigma. He is first noted in 1927 as a radio singer who
accompanied himself on his ukulele. In 1929 he is announced as Eddie Walters
and his Pals, which suggests that he led a band and in March 1929 he made
his first Columbia recording, the slightly risquee Makin' Whoopee,
accompanied by piano and guitar. The recordings with Rollini were from his
third session. During 1930 he made several records both under his own name
and with Rube Bloom's Bayou Boys (with Rollini),with the Charleston Chasers
and with Ben Selvin's Orchestra. He continued broadcasting at least until
1933, often with piano duo Cis and Harry Harding. After 1933 he had a lower
profile and all is known are some spurious broadcasts in 1935 (as a member
of the Modern Minstrels via WABC) and in 1939.