[78-L] Eddie Walters

Ate van Delden ate.vandelden at worldonline.nl
Mon Aug 12 07:36:41 PDT 2013

My previous request for information on singer Eddie Walters did not yield any reaction. Maybe I am more lucky this time.
Walters recorded in 1929 and 1930 for Columbia with some prominent jazzmen, including Adrian Rollini, the subject of my research. Although Edwards' records were positively reviewed and even issued in Europe and Japan, no biographical information seems to be known. Could a list member with access to the Columbia catalogs and bulletins of 1929 and 1930 check if anything is written there about Eddie Walters? Thank you for any help!
The following text sums up what I found in newspapers.
"Eddie Walters is an enigma. He is first noted in 1927 as a radio singer who accompanied himself on his ukulele. In 1929 he is announced as Eddie Walters and his Pals, which suggests that he led a band and in March 1929 he made his first Columbia recording, the slightly risquee Makin' Whoopee, accompanied by piano and guitar. The recordings with Rollini were from his third session. During 1930 he made several records both under his own name and with Rube Bloom's Bayou Boys (with Rollini),with the Charleston Chasers and with Ben Selvin's Orchestra. He continued broadcasting at least until 1933, often with piano duo Cis and Harry Harding. After 1933 he had a lower profile and all is known are some spurious broadcasts in 1935 (as a member of the Modern Minstrels via WABC) and in 1939.