[78-L] Gene Autry Conqueror and Okeh album sets

Guyotsmith at aol.com Guyotsmith at aol.com
Thu Aug 8 12:41:41 PDT 2013

Greetings to all:

The Spring-Summer 1941 issue of  the Sears-Roebuck catalogue yields the
following advertisement:

SUPER-BARGAIN - New Gene Autry  Record Albums  (Beautiful decorated record
album) $1
Introductory Offer - This  catalogue only - Order Yours Now

GENE AUTRY COWBOY  SONGS
8 of Gene Autry's famous cowboy  songs, sung by him on 4 Conqueror records.
9058 Ride, Tenderfoot, Ride/The  Old Trail
8191 The Last Round-up/There's an  Empty Cot in the Bunkhouse
8465 Tumbling Tumbleweeds/Old  Missouri Moon
9544 Call of the Canyon/Back in  the Saddle

57H5986.....$1

GENE AUTRY: BALLADS OF THE WEST
$1.90 value - Gene Autry singing 8  Western ballads, 4 records.
8629 Nobody's Darlin' But  Mine/Mexicali Rose
8968 There's a Gold Mine in the  Sky/Sail Along Silv'ry Moon
9389 Goodbye Little Darlin'  Goodbye/When I'm Gone You'll Soon Forget
9388 El Rancho Grande/The Singing  Hills

57H5987....$1

(Gene Autry records listed above  may be ordered separately in the regular
way; see opposite page)

Obviously, the "Ballads of the  West" title does not suit all the
selections included on the second album, but  all were best-sellers in the Gene Autry
catalogue. "This catalogue only" is an  interesting line. Obviously, the
rarest Conquerors are the ones which appeared  extremely briefly in the
catalogue before being deleted, Gene Autry 8828 being a  classic example.

There is one more more Conqueror  "album," simply titled GENE AUTRY. The
cover has a headshot of Gene with a  bright red background. There are sleeves
for 6 records, but it is a generic  album. In reality, the words "Conqueror
Records" do not appear on the album, but  I have only found it with
Conquerors included. The album was free with the  purchase of any six Gene Autry
records.

The next Gene Autry album on the  market was the Okeh K-1 COWBOY SONGS set
discussed at length in recent days. As  a Gene Autry enthusiast, I have
several copies of this one, and it often -  but not always - turns up with the
same records included.

There were two additional albums,  both simply entitled GENE AUTRY, with
one carrying the Okeh Records  designation and other reading Columbia Records.
The former has a headshot of  Gene with a golden tan background, while the
Columbia jacket has a picture of  Gene with his guitar and a green
background. Both were available in Woolworth's  (and maybe Sears-Roebuck) as free
albums when any 4 Gene Autry 78s were  purchased. I have always found them
packed with "hits," and never with the more  elusive items.

To the best of my knowledge, there  were no other generic sets. The next
Gene Autry albums, in late 1940s, were  actual albums as we know the term
today: "Gene Autry's Western Classics - Volume  I" and "Gene Autry's Western
Classics - Volume II."  Both were, of course,  made specifically as concept
albums, later issued as 10" lps and 45rpm  double-eps.

Other fine folks have already  reported on all of the above, but I thought
I'd take a moment to put it all in  one place.  Best wishes to everyone.

Jonathan