[78-L] Is it really rarest blues record?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 6 21:15:13 PDT 2013

On the subject of blues, I'm working on a project and I've been transferring
Black Swan 78s (close to two hundred so far). Not just blues, but every
category they touched on (lots of ghastly dance bands they inherited from
Olympic and tried to pass off as "colored", light classical, vaudeville etc).
Some of the blues records have some amazing arrangements, particularly the ones
by Josie Miles..these things are like little symphonies. Anyone know who might
have been responsible? They sound like the kind of stuff William Grant Still
was doing symphonically a few years later.

dl