[78-L] 16 2/3 & 8 rpm

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. rbratcherjr at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 5 13:45:15 PDT 2013

The NLS taking book machine (record player) had a single 10 inch speaker in the lid & the needle pressure was more heavy then a home phonograph so record wear would be higher if someone plays a commercial music LP on it at 33 rpm. I remember the records got scratched up quite a bit when ordering older books. Once the NLS stopped issuing records for the books in favor for the 4 track cassettes I sent the record player back as I didn't need it anymore. They recently stopped new books on cassettes as they are all in digital format now. A talking book reader can still get older books on cassettes however  I don't need to as books are getting reissued in the digital format although I still have the yellow tape player & the NLS has not asked for it to be sent back so I guess I'll just hang onto it for awhile until they do ask for it to be returned. 16 & 8 rpm were used for the books too, not just the magazines.