[78-L] Churchill's Secret Cabinet

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 13 08:43:20 PDT 2013

On 13/07/13 16:02, Michael Biel wrote:
> Yes I have been doing research on this subject, and the linked article
> about Norman Shelly tells what I also have figured out so far.  Shelly
> (not Sterling Holloway!) did do the "We will fight them on the
> beaches..." and that one is included in this BBC broadcast.  In fact, it
> was the first speech in the set of recordings they play in the Churchill
> Underground War Rooms in London.  I made a recording of their exhibit
> when I was there in April, and I included it in the comment card I left.
>   My faceebook friends know that I finally got the 12-LP Decca/London box
> set two weeks ago (thanks to Charlie at Academy Records) and I will
> check that set in the next few weeks.  That speech is NOT in the EMI
> set, Murrow's compilation on Columbia, and several other Churchill
> compilations I have.  It is as if EVERYBODY EXCEPT the Churchill
> archives know it is bogus.

If you think about it, would it have been a good idea to pre-record
Churchill's speeches, whether by himself or Shelley? Supposing there was
some technical defect when they were played over the air, such as the
needle sticking or jumping? it wouldn't have had quite the same effect,
would it?

      Julian Vein