[78-L] Length of jazz recordings

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 12 14:14:35 PDT 2013

The 16-inch discs started as backups in 1939 but soon became the primary source
for Columbia's masters. Decca began recording its originals on 16-inch when it
took over World Program Service during the ban. Capitol probably did the same
at the same time, since we know that the "wrong" take of Eager Beaver was on
one 78 issue. Did the musicians even know they were being recorded in a
different format?

And don't forget that Victor introduced a long playing record in 1931, and what
did they record on it? Medleys.

dl