[78-L] Length of polka records

Ted Kneebone tkneebone1 at abe.midco.net
Wed Jul 10 08:21:21 PDT 2013

Reading about the length of jazz records on 78 discs,
I recalled an incident when I was in high school;
about 1951 or 52.
    Sisseton High School had its own "old time music"
group.  They played country music, polkas, waltzes,
and that kind of stuff.  They asked me to record some
of their tunes.  I had them play something so I could
set levels on the Wilcox-Gay Recordio disc cutter.
    Then I realized that their tunes would last longer than
the 3 minutes or so on a 10 inch disc.  I had no 12 inch discs.
    "Guys, we have to have a signal for you -- to stop playing!"
I think I waved them to a stop.  The music fit on the disc.
    The SHS choir and band did not need a signal.  They played
or sang from printed scores.
Ted Kneebone
1528 S. Grant Street
Aberdeen, SD 57401