[78-L] Lenny

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Wed Jul 10 03:30:08 PDT 2013

On 09/07/2013, Dave Burnham wrote:

> The first line of Mahler's third also shows more than a passing
> resemblance to the big tune of the fourth movement of Brahms' first.
>
> The "frere Jacques" quote can't be accidental, but one has to wonder
> once again why the connection. Was the titan's first name Jack?

"Titan" is a long novel by Jean-Paul (Richter) which I found unreadable
but which seems to have appealed to Mahler's youthful romanticism.

It is written in a heavily ironic and jokey style which must have
influenced Mahler's compositional style.

> Nothing could be more tenuous than the four notes that lead to the
> belief that Handel wrote "Joy to the World".

As to "the big tune of the fourth movement of Brahms' first" - somebody
remarked that it sounded very like the big tune in Beethoven's Ninth, to
which Brahms replied "Any fool can hear that".

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox at enterprise.net