[78-L] Length of jazz recordings

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Jul 9 16:31:42 PDT 2013

Yes - most jazz LPs were studio recordings back then. The prevailing pattern was for a 10-inch LP to include 8 songs. When the format expanded to 12-inch LPs, the standard was 12 songs.

In their jazz reviews, "Down Beat" often complained about the brevity of jazz songs. They wanted to hear the soloists "wail," but the three-minute format dictated by the necessities of recording for 78 rpm discs was still

adhered to by most labels, despite the advantages presented by the introduction of the LP. I'm asking which label recognized this first? I'm guessing Clef and Prestige. Even Blue Note was still sticking to the singles

format in the early 1950s.

There were many live sessions that were issued on 10-inch LPs that had extended performances. One of the most famous is the electrifying Lionel Hampton vibraphone solo on "The Man I Love," which was issued on the "Just Jazz" LP on Decca (DL-7013).

Cary Ginell