[78-L] Length of jazz recordings

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 9 16:19:27 PDT 2013

On 09/07/13 23:46, Cary Ginell wrote:
> Yes - but these were isolated recordings that were ruled by the restrictions of the physical limitations of a 78 rpm disc. I'm looking for the label or labels that decided to capture the performance REGARDLESS of any limitations due to technology. Record till you're done and we'll issue it as is. The JATP live recordings were probably the first - and many were excerpted on two and sometimes three 78 rpm singles. But when the LP came in, musicians could record for an entire side without stopping. I'm checking my 10-inch LPs and it seems that Clef (again with Granz in charge) was the first to do this on a regular basis.
>
> Cary
Zoot Sims did a long version of "Zoot Swings The Blues" for Prestige in
1951. Gerry Mulligan did a long "Mulligan's Too" (18mins) for Prestige
the same year.

In the UK, Ronnie Scott recorded some side-long tracks for Esquire which
were direct cut.

I assume you are enquiring about studio rather than live recordings?

      Julian Vein