[78-L] Lenny

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 9 15:05:35 PDT 2013

And BMI came into being because the broadcasters were anticipating trouble with
ASCAP. I think there had been one local ASCAP ban in Chicago sometime in the
late 30s..not something I've ever read about, but the late Jeff Healey once
referred to it on a radio program.

At least one transcription company, Lang-Worth, used a different colored label
to indicate non-ASCAP material (and had Fats Waller record a whole bunch of
jazzed up classics and folk tunes).

dl