[78-L] Lenny

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Tue Jul 9 13:42:33 PDT 2013

I had always thought the reason for so many pop tunes from classics around
this time ('39. '40, '41) was the founding of BMI.  In order for the new
corporation to compete with the established ASCAP, they drew on these
classical themes and also Latin American tunes that were not licensed yet in
the U.S.
RayK

From: David Lennick
Also HERE COMES THE NIGHT..like The Things I Love, adapted from
Tchaikovsky's
"Melodie". The ASCAP ban was partly responsible for the adaptations from the
classics, but they'd existed well before that.

dl