[78-L] Bernstein's Rhapsody

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sun Jul 7 10:59:18 PDT 2013

On 7/7/2013 8:20 AM, David Lennick wrote:
> There are several performances of the Rhapsody with Earl vs Paul Whiteman, not
> just the 78 set. I was involved in the transfer to digital of many of the Earl
> Wild airchecks and live recordings from transcription discs and tapes a few
> years back and got to meet Earl. Funny guy, and he was still performing and
> recording at close to 90.

I always considered Whiteman's 78 version as "Whiteman vs the runout
groove."

But to be serious, it was a good job of popularizing an otherwise
highbrow piece. Did a lot to bring it to his audience outside of the
Aeolian Hall. It could and should not be called a tour de force, but the
kickoff for a historical piece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEhD73pr1oE

On the other hand, BG and Wild were not so delimited. What an odious
task it must have been in those days to be told to "stay in the groove
(especially in the acoustic era)!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FnL6HZ2xUk

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.