[78-L] DECCA UK was Facade

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 16 14:45:44 PDT 2013

On 16/06/13 21:44, Thomas Stern wrote:
> I have this information, fwiw:
>
> Decca Record Company Ltd was floated with a
> million shares in February 1929 to buy both the Duophone record factory and
> the shares of the Decca Gramophone Company.
> (per Chris Steward)
>
> Duophone recorded STANLEY HOLLOWAY in September 1928.
>
> Anyone have access to GRAMOPHONE ARCHIVE, there may be info there.....
>
> Best wishes, Thomas.

I have the bound volume for 1929. The first reference I can find to
Decca is in the August issue (p.114). It is for Decca A1002 (10").
Symphony Orchestra conducted by Basil Cameron: Jutish Medley (Danish
Folk Songs), which says "...The recording is very bright and
full-toned...A bit of horn solo on side one is not quite clear. Other
wind-work seems to me strident..." There are a couple more reviews on
subsequent pages, both critical of the recording quality.

      Julian Vein