[78-L] Chinese Shipping

Matthew Balcerak mjbalcerak at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 19:49:49 PDT 2013

I live in China! I am also American, so I like to think a *little* more
sensible than some of the people here.  If a record ever arrives broken to
me (god forbid) I would take personal responsibility for living in a
country with a retarded postal system.

Here are a few examples of what their crazy post office does.  They can
open up your package... and then repack it in a totally new box!  (There is
no guarantee that the guy you have the claim with even got your actual
box...)  The packages are delivered on motor bikes (nothing wrong with
this) but the drivers often sit or stand on boxes.  They certainly always
get used as makeshift chairs during their lunch break.  Boxes are tossed
around like fish at a fish market, but often with no one to catch them.  I
have had boxes arrive looking perfect (usually from Hans, you are a packing
genius) and I have had packages arrive beaten, battered, torn, covered in
tape, opened, in new boxes that the seller didn't send, marinating in rain,
with cigarette burns and the list goes on.

That said, I have purchased over 200 records in the last two years, and not
a single one has arrived broken.  Am I lucky, ohh yes. I had one box arrive
so badly damaged, it was leaking peanuts and the corner of my records were
visible.

Advice: best thing to do is the double box.  Also, I always get at least 5
to 10 records shipped at once. Less chance of bending.  Something to do
with your trash records anyway, and maybe the buyer will randomly like
one... Use much more cardboard than you think is necessary.  Finally,
packing peanuts seem more secure than bubble wrap. The post office will cut
off the bubble wrap to see what is inside.

Really just asume the worst will happen whenever you ship here.  But please
don't stop... I still have to get my records from somewhere.

-Matt-