[78-L] International transactions

Benno Häupl goldenbough at arcor.de
Fri Jun 14 10:52:32 PDT 2013

.
Please let me explain how the international postal logistics work.
A shipment is always the property of the sender until it is being handed over to
the recipient. So, if a record is broken, it's the seller's record that was broken,
not the buyer's. And the buyer is still entitled to get ''his record'' or a full refund.
This procedure was signed by all Postal Services globally, by the members
of the Universal Postal Union.
You don't believe that the shipment is the seller's until delivery?  Why then can
a sender call back any letter or package before it is being delivered?  USPS calls this
service ''intercept'' and charges about $20 for it.
Let's say I send you a package and you do not know that I do. You would not think,
would you, that you own the package while it is in transit, although you do not even
know that it is coming your way?
This is why the seller is always responsible. Nothing invented by eBay or PayPal.
This has been agreed in official treaties by all Postal Services on earth at the creation
of the Universal Postal Union in 1874, 139 years ago.
I always wondered why sellers insure with USPS. Way too expensive and hard to
deal with when there is a problem. Third party insurers like U-Pic, ShipSurance
or ShipSaver (via Endicia) charge only a fraction, about $1 for $100 insured -
and they insure full value and not the low value declared on the customs form.
I also hear that they pay out claims within 2 or 3 days.
You can also ''self insure'' instead of feeding insurance companies with premiums.
If you add 50 cents or a dollar to the shipping costs of all your packages and put the
money away in a cookie jar - then you can pay all claims from there, and invite your
loved one to a fine restaurant at the end of the year with the money left over.
Hope this helps some.
Benno