[78-L] International transactions

Malcolm - Venerable Music malcolm at venerablemusic.com
Thu Jun 13 14:23:44 PDT 2013

Hi Cary - Actually, the same thing can happen domestically & as a seller
I've come to the conclusion that buying insurance for packages is basically
a waste of money. On Ebay, stating that you will not accept returns does not
mean a thing. Any buyer can file an Item Not As Described claim and get
their money back no matter your personal policy. As a buyer, I hate it when
a seller buys insurance, does a poor job packing and then expects me to jump
through the hoops of trying to get a refund. Insurance or not, I always just
send the item back, file a paypal claim and let the seller file the claim
with the PO.

Last year, I received a broken record from a seller who really did a solid
packing job - totally the fault of the PO. The seller had purchased
insurance and the record was an $80 record, so I decided to follow through
with the postal claim to see what would happen. I told the seller what
happened and what I was doing and he immediately mailed me the original
receipt & the original insurance slip which I thought was strange at the
time (I'm the buyer, I shouldn't have access to this stuff). I held on to it
and filed the claim online. About 3-4 weeks later (seemed longer), I
received a letter in the mail asking for the original receipt and insurance
slip & that I had 10 days to mail it in or I would forfeit the insurance
claim. Wow, I had them! I sent them in and received a check from the post
office about 2-3 weeks after that.
The thing is, by waiting on the postal service, my paypal chargeback rights
would have close to or already expired by the time I had figured everything
out and that I needed the seller to send me his copy of the receipt. It's a
terrible process & the post office wants it to be as many of their insurance
claims are not paid out. I think Ebay even made it so sellers could not
require buyers to purchase insurance as it was all on the shoulders of the
seller. The $4 rate is BS & I see many sellers charging more for their
service. They have a tendency to selectively enforce their own policies
which also drives me crazy!

I don't sell on Ebay much anymore, but on vmauctions I sell and ship
thousands of 78s every year. We insure every single package that is sent
from the site as insurance on any package over $50 the price of insurance is
built into the shipping costs (I cover anything under $50 out of my own
pocket). I never actually purchase insurance with those funds but sock them
away. If I ever get any complaints of loss or damage, I immediately refund
the customer and tell them no need to send the item back - no questions
asked (records are returned for grading discrepancies though). It is soooo
much easier than dealing with the post office, and every year it actually
ends up being profitable for me even covering other sellers losses under
$50.

Buying insurance for international packages also makes it harder to under
value them for customs. Valuing a package at a high price actually makes
them less secure passing through customs. I have heard several stories of
customs unpacking records with high values claimed only to repack them
poorly causing them to arrive damaged.

If you are going to continue purchasing insurance, you should really check
into the other services Benno mentioned earlier. I have never used them
myself, but have heard they are much easier than dealing with the PO. But
remember, don't expect the buyers not to file a paypal claim as it's easily
the best way to go for them (I've never known paypal to rule against a
buyer). Remember, your time and effort are worth money & for me, that almost
always outweighs the trouble of dealing with the postal service (and ebay).
I shouldn't just slam them, insurance does work well if the package never
arrives - but over my last 5 years or so of buying and selling, it's only
happened to me once (and it was as a buyer).

Best of Luck!
Malcolm

Venerable Music - http://www.venerablemusic.com
Venerable Radio - http://www.venerableradio.com