[78-L] The Samoan Troupe on Columbia Viva-tonal J series

Roger Wade rwade1947 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 8 14:37:55 PDT 2013

I've come across 5 nice Columbia Viva-tonal black label 10-inch 78s by "The Samoan Troupe", with catalog numbers and matrices that I can't find any information on.

The descriptive note on the right side of the labels reads "Hawaiian-Samoan Vocal" (or Instrumental).

The catalog numbers are:

J 781, J 782, J 818, J 792, and J 793.

Matrices are between 32253 and 32266.

Is anyone familiar with these?

The style of Viva-tonal label appears to be late 1920s but with no patents listed.  Also, the matrix and catalog numbers are on the same line, next to each other with the matrix first, at the bottom of the label.

The musical style is indistinguishable from the Hawaiian recordings of the time, at least to my non-expert ears.

Best regards,

Roger Wade
Really Old Records

http://www.reallyoldrecords.com