[78-L] "iPhone Gramophone"

Michael Shoshani michael.shoshani at gmail.com
Fri May 24 13:07:04 PDT 2013

On 05/24/2013 02:40 PM, David Breneman wrote:

> I think there was some discussion last year of the
> small horn that could be attached to an iPhone to
> amplify the built-in speaker.  Now there's a large
> horn to do the same thing.  The article repeatedly
> characterizes it erroneously as a "Victrola horn."
> Old style radio speaker horn is more like it, but
> at least the author of the piece has at least a
> glancing familiarity with old acoustic phonographs.

Old style radio horn or, if you stretch your imagination, something
resembling an Edison cygnet horn without the scalloped flare.

I just picked up an Ampli-Phone, which is made by Robert "Look For The
Dog" Baumbach's company and was designed by him based on the exponential
horn dimensions in the Orthophonic Victrola. It's not earth-shattering -
there's only so much you can do with output from a speaker smaller than
a thimble - but I think it works well within its given limitations.

MS