[78-L] Weird problem with ripping a CD-R

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun May 19 13:39:19 PDT 2013

On 5/19/2013 3:31 PM, Mark Bardenwerper wrote:
> On 5/19/2013 2:11 PM, Don Cox wrote:
>> On 18/05/2013, David Lennick wrote:
>>
>>> I think I solved it (ripped it as "multitrack" which ignored the
>>> timings and didn't try to insert false original titles). That one I
>>> was able to save and send via MyAirBridge (and I just checked and it's
>>> the correct material, not some rock 'n' roll tracks).
>>>
>> The one I use is called "Express Rip - unlicensed basic free version". In
>> this program, accessing the online database is an option.
>>
>> Maybe on your program also it is an option which can be switched off.
>>
>> Regards
> Are the tags editable?
> I really dislike software that thinks it's smarter than you are. If
> there was only a button for "don't be so helpful."

I've had this happen a couple of other times. Once, 4 unrelated tracks on a
CD-RW which the system "recognized" as something else (didn't give me a
problem) and another time when it actually did identify the album, even though
I'd transferred it from an lp. That was weird.

I did two CDs worth of Jascha Heifetz recordings for Naxos a couple of years
ago, comprising all the Deccas and the V-Discs. All transferred from original
lps and 78s. The discs display in my car's player as "The Decca Years", even
though there is no such title or reference on the Naxos discs. Smart? Sheesh.