[78-L] 78 "Vegans"?

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Mon May 13 13:40:47 PDT 2013

Greetings from FixitLand!

I noted:

>> Another example: Bluebird B-10352-A "Sold American" by Glenn Miller exists both as master-pressed and dubbed copies, even on the original label. I lucked out and found a master-pressed copy. The HMV is the same way, I think. It's worth the time and effort to secure a master-pressed copy. Even the Bluebird LP "Complete Glenn Miller Vol. 2" used the dub master.

Don Chichester asked:

> I have a copy of Bb B-10352.  Side A has a faint 'M' in the dead wax, side 'B' has a faint 'F'.  Nothing else on either side.  How does one know the Master Pressing?

I don't remember if a take digit appears on the dub; if it does, it would be -1R or -2R or like that, appearing at 9:00 in the dead wax with the catalog number at 6:00. The 'M' and 'F' in the dead wax near the catalog number are stamper letters. The real proof is in the listening: At about 1:07, a master pressing will sound clean but a dub will have a bit of audio "smooshing." If you have the Bluebird "Complete" LP (AXM2-5514), that's got the dub, which you can directly compare with your 78 pressing. Here's hoping you have a master!

Take care,

—
Joe
—
“MMEEOOWW!!”—Douglas Fur and Kimberly Fur