[78-L] Ceci Julian

Dennis Flannigan dennis.flannigan at gmail.com
Thu May 9 21:43:28 PDT 2013

Additonal: found this posting by Ms. Julian.

"I entertained at USO shows for the service men and women stationed
throughout Southern California.

During wartime we left the Port in Long Beach in a gig that was covered for
security reasons (to entertain sailors aboard ships anchored in our harbor.)

One of my fondest memories was at the conclusion of the war. One of the
many military bands that I sang with was the Long Beach Port of Embarkation
Big Band. The band and I were called to entertain the troops returning from
combat. We were transported by barge to meet the APA troop transport in the
outer harbor and escort the hundreds of troops to the inner harbor.

All of the GIs were crowded on the decks waving their arms as we greeted
them with, "I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Baby."

At 88 years old, I am still singing with a Big Swing Band every Wednesday
at El Dorado Park Community Center in Long Beach from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m."

*— Ceci Julian, vocalist with the Port of Embarkation Military Swing Band,
1945*