[78-L] Charlie Poole reissue

Martin Fisher Martin.Fisher at mtsu.edu
Fri Apr 26 07:03:52 PDT 2013

Since I was going from memory I had to rethink myself.  Here's the Amazon page for the set.  The banner is on the front of the box.

http://www.amazon.com/Gennett-Old-Time-Music-Classic/dp/B003BL0BF4

Confession and observation time....  I'm so used to listening to 78s played flat with no processing that I find myself unbelievably ANNOYED if I can detect ANY form of NR.  In my mind, the purpose of any form of clean up is to remove unwanted artifact....NOT INTRODUCE IT!  IMHO, a stable noise floor is much preferable to one that seems to be rolling on a ripply lake.

Also, when listening by headphone, I find that my ears can better differentiate noise from program content by hearing both sides of a mono groove in stereo.  The brain sorts out what is not common to both channels and the performance comes through all the more solid with much more presence.

Martin