[78-L] 84rpm on a side, 76rpm on the other

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 05:55:10 PDT 2013

Several potential explanations depending on the individual recordings and
the circumstances under which each was made.  The differences could stem
from anything from someone adjusting a speed governor mechanism on a
recording machine between the cutting of two matrices on the same machine
at the same session to two recordings made in different locations on
different machines adjusted very differently (as in the case of a batwing
Victor I have with one side from an American recording at more or less the
typical 75 to 76 1/2 rpm speed, the other side from a 1908 recording made
in Vienna at something like 68 1/2 rpm).