[78-L] Phil Schaap

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sat Apr 6 06:55:05 PDT 2013

This is the common blue label issue from the 1938 Bessie memorial album.
It is so common that it exists in 4 label varieties.

Schaap does not mention the take number, but "rare" is a bit odd here.
Take 2 was poss. the normal take on the orig. 1927 Co 14197-D (I see it on 2 label images),
with -3 being rare on this orig. issue.
However, acc. to Blues & Gospel Records (1997), -3 is the take on the blue Co 3174-D
and on UK Parlophone R-2478, and thus easy to obtain.
Moreover, these take-3 reissues on blue Co & Parlo are DUBS.
Muddy Water on the orig. Co 14197-D is mx 143569-2/3, but Co 3174-D has
mx 21843 on label and in wax, and is "take 1" from stamper 1.

Mxs 21821 (Bessie's St Louis Blues reissue) - 21870 (her Back-Water Blues dub) are part of the contemporary ARC mx series.
Looking in Ty's ODP under Brunswick, I see:
Br 7978 Leo Reisman, mxs 21813/14, recd 7 Oct 1937
Br 8036 Brunswick Salon Orch, mxs 21846/48, recd 12 Oct 1937,
so they must have started the Bessie project early Oct 1937, shortly after her death 26 Sep 1937.

han enderman
===
>>> Forgot to mention. The recording is by Bessie Smith. A rare take, but, jeez, you could get a decent amount for that
without Marsalis writing all over it...
CG

> From: soundthink at live.com
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:19:56 -0700
> Subject: [78-L] Phil Schaap
>
> The latest Phil Schaap outrage. A blue label Columbia 78 of "Muddy Water" that is signed by Wynton Marsalis
in what looks like grease pencil along the run-off groove. Sale price: $425.00.
-----
http://philschaapjazz.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3141157

http://philschaapjazz.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=315
-----
From: soundthink at live.com
> The latest Phil Schaap outrage. A blue label Columbia 78 of
> "Muddy Water" that is signed by Wynton Marsalis in what looks
> like grease pencil along the run-off groove. Sale price: $425.00.
> That's almost like getting Julia Child's autograph on a Denver
> Broncos football helmet.

Did you go through his full list?  He might HAVE this!  After all, he
has this: "Very UNIQUE piece of jazz memorabilia. Congresswoman Bella
Abzug came to The West End for Doc Cheatham's 78th birthday on June 13,
1983. This is her SIGNED(!) charge slip. Our price? The same she paid in
1983. One-of-a-kind!"

BELLA ABZUG!!!!  Actually, I bet she played a better horn than Wynton!

> Question: why does Marsalis sign all of Schaap's Schlock?
> Does he get a kickback? Is the money donated to charity?
> Forgot to mention. The recording is by Bessie Smith.
> A rare take, but, jeez, you could get a decent amount
> for that without Marsalis writing all over it...  Cary Ginell

Because Bella Abzug is no longer available to sign his Schlock?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com
-----