[78-L] Phil Schaap

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Apr 5 22:59:03 PDT 2013

http://philschaapjazz.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3141157

http://philschaapjazz.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=315

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [78-L] Phil Schaap
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
Date: Sat, April 06, 2013 1:54 am
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

From: soundthink at live.com
> The latest Phil Schaap outrage. A blue label Columbia 78 of
> "Muddy Water" that is signed by Wynton Marsalis in what looks
> like grease pencil along the run-off groove. Sale price: $425.00.
> That's almost like getting Julia Child's autograph on a Denver
> Broncos football helmet.

Did you go through his full list? He might HAVE this! After all, he
has this: "Very UNIQUE piece of jazz memorabilia. Congresswoman Bella
Abzug came to The West End for Doc Cheatham's 78th birthday on June 13,
1983. This is her SIGNED(!) charge slip. Our price? The same she paid in
1983. One-of-a-kind!"

BELLA ABZUG!!!! Actually, I bet she played a better horn than Wynton!

> Question: why does Marsalis sign all of Schaap's Schlock?
> Does he get a kickback? Is the money donated to charity?
> Forgot to mention. The recording is by Bessie Smith.
> A rare take, but, jeez, you could get a decent amount
> for that without Marsalis writing all over it... Cary Ginell

Because Bella Abzug is no longer available to sign his Schlock?

Mike Biel mbiel at mbiel.com