[78-L] Lakeside ''ROTOMETER'

Clifford Bolling 78records at cdbpdx.com
Mon Mar 25 08:59:45 PDT 2013

Just came across a most clever device to set the rotation speed of a turntable.  It is called
a ROTOMETER and is made by LAKESIDE.  It came in a box of other goodies with a
phonograph I just brought home.  You set the device on the turntable placing the spindle
in the hole near one end.  There is a weighted balance bar that points to a peg opposite the
weighted end.  The inertia of the spinning turntable pulls on the weight and raises or lowers
the balance bar as the speed changes.  When the bar points to the peg, the speed is 78 rpm.

You can view the device in action on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLUfTRbfRBA

Before there was 60 cycle electric lightbulbs and strobes, there was the LAKESIDE ROTOMETER!

Very cool.  I've never seen anything like this.

CDB